The tomato ketchup can be made in advance and stored in the
fridge. We used the Hand
Blender to make a smooth sauce.
- 1-2 pre-cooked pork sausages
- 2 slices of medium sliced bread
- Caramelised onions
- Tomato ketchup
- Spreadable butter
For the caramelised onions:
- 1 small onion
- Pouring honey
- Light oil
For the tomato ketchup:
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 1/2 stick of celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp pouring honey or caster sugar
- To make the caramelised onions, roughly chop the onion in the
Hand Blender chopping
bowl. Fry in oil until soft. Drizzle honey over the onions and cook
for a further five minutes until caramelised.
- To make the ketchup, roughly chop the tomatoes, onion, celery
and garlic in the Hand Blender chopping bowl. Place in a saucepan
with the remaining ingredients and simmer gently until cooked.
Leave to cool, then blend with the Hand Blender until smooth. If
you like a spicy taste, add one dessert spoon of tabasco sauce or
add one dessert spoon of soy sauce for a richer colour.
- Lightly butter the outside of the bread and place one slice
buttered side down on the sandwich cage.
- Slice the cooked sausages and place on the unbuttered side of
the bread. Cover with a layer of caramelised onions and a layer of
- Place the other slice of bread on top, buttered side facing
out. Carefully close the sandwich cage.
- Toast for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to rest in the
toaster for a further minute after toasting for the best
If you own a Classic
Toaster, click here to buy the Classic Sandwich Cage
If you own a Domus,
Architect or Lite Toaster, click here to buy a Sandwich