1. Grate or chop the apple in the Chopping Bowl attachment of
the Dualit 700W Hand
Blender, before squeezing a little lemon juice over to prevent
browning and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the sugar and butter and mix with
the flatbeaters attachement of the Dualit Hand Mixer. Slowly add the eggs flour,
spice and treacle, then combine.
3. Stir in all the mixed fruit, cherries, brandy and grated
4. Turn the mixture into a lined and buttered 23cm round or
square tin, and cover the top of the mixture with a disc or square
piece of parchment.
5. Place the tin on the middle shelf of a preheated oven on
177ºC/165º fan/Gas Mark 3-4 and bake for 2-2.5 hours.
6. Check on the cake halfway through baking, and remove the
parchment paper, and continue to keep an eye on the browning. Check
again after 30 mins and, if needed, cover the top loosley with
7. A skewer should come out clean to indicate the cake is fully
8. Leave the cake to cool completely, before covering and
storing in an airtight container.
9. Continue to feed with alcohol (if desired) by piercing the
cake with a skewer and dripping brandy over the top.
10. This cake can be made a few months in advance, and gets
better with time.
11. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
- Nuts can be added to the mixture for an extra element of both
texture and flavour.
- Marzipan and royal icing can also be used to decorate the cake
for a more traditional look and feel.