Rum Soaked Dried Fruits.
1. Place the 2kg of dried fruit in a watertight and airtight
container (this will need to be upturned periodically).
2. Zest the rind of the oranges and lemons into the fruit.
3. Cut the oranges and lemons in half and squeeze the juice -
including some of the pulp - into the fruit.
4. Push two halves of the oranges and two halves of the lemon as
far into the fruit mix as you can and leave this to help flavour
the mix (these can be removed and refreshed after several
5. Pour in the rum, or brandy, and use a large spoon to mix in
6. Cover with lid and leave to stand for a week.
7. After one week, turn the container of fruit upside down. This
allows the juices to soak through all the fruit to the top.
8. Repeat Step 7 every week, continually flipping the container
of fruit. Use as little or as much as you need and top up fruit as
required, remembering to upturn to soak newly added fruit.
- The container can be topped up with more fruit at any time,
just remember to upturn and add a little more zest of fresh
- Orange and lemon halves can be refreshed, simply remove the old
ones and add new ones.
- The longer the fruit is soaking, the plumper the fruit