Marmalade is a favourite toast topping at Dualit and is also a
favourite with the Queen, and it adds an amazing, tangy flavour to
these muffins. The light, orange sponge can be made quickly with
the Dualit Hand Mixer - just be
careful not to over mix when adding the wet ingredients to the
- 175g plain flour
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 25g porridge oats
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150g natural yogurt
- 9 tsp good quality marmalade
- 100g icing sugar
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6.
- Measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda
and oats into a bowl and mix together.
- Lightly whisk the zest and juice of one orange with the egg,
vegetable oil and natural yoghurt.
- Fold the orange mixture into the dry ingredients quickly until
- Line a muffin tin with nine muffin cases. Place a spoonful of
the muffin batter into a muffin case and top with 1tsp of
marmalade. Cover with another spoonful of the muffin batter. Repeat
until all muffin cases are filled.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the batter is cooked through but the
marmalade is still slightly gooey.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl. Mix 2-3
spoonfuls of the orange juice with the icing sugar until a paste is
formed. Add more of the orange juice until you have made a thick,
but still runny icing.
- When the muffins have cooled, spoon the icing over the top and
sprinkle over the orange zest.
Try mixing the icing sugar with lemon juice for a different, but
These muffins are great as a breakfast treat - simply leave off
the icing and sprinkle the muffin tops with more oats before