- Preheat oven to 200/180 fan
- Place the flour and baking powder into a sift over a piece of
- add the sugar, eggs and milk into a large bowl and mix to a
- Sift in the flour continue to gently mix.
- Zest or grate all the lemon rind and stir into the
- Pour the cake mix into a parchment lined square tin and smooth
over.( 8" or 9" )
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, a skewer should come out
- In a small dish, squeeze the juice from both lemons, and add
the 2 tbsp of castor sugar and stir to a paste.
- Whilst the cake is still warm, use a skewer to place holes
into the cake, place the thin lemon slices across the midde of the
cake and then spoon the lemon sugar paste evenly over the top.
- Allow to cool and cut into 8-10 squares.
Served with custard this light lemon sponge is absolutely
Line the baking tin first, then use this to sit the sifted flour
in until ready to add to the cake batter.