Try to buy fresh seasonal and organic ingredients. Be adventurous, make up your own soups with favourite ingredients and seasonings. If you don’t like using measurements use up to double of the amount of liquid to vegetables - less for leafy vegetables, or the soup will be thin and watery.
- 250g seasonal vegetables (of your choice)
- Canned tomatoes, lentils or cannellini beans (optional)
- 750ml vegetable stock
- Half of a medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly milled pepper
- Basil (optional)
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil and cook the onion and garlic. After ten minutes, they should be sweet, soft, fragrant and lightly coloured.
- Now add the chopped vegetables and the stock. Bubble and simmer until all is tender – this takes about 20-30 minutes. The soup is cooked when the vegetables can be crushed against the side of the pan easily with the back of a spoon.
- Now add the softer ingredients like canned pulses or tomatoes.
- Taste for salt and pepper, adding a little if necessary. If your soup is made with fresh tomatoes out of season, a spoonful or so of sugar may be necessary.
- Allow the contents of the pan to cool to lukewarm, then ladle it into the blender. If you like your soup chunky, use the Pulse Pad until you are happy with the consistency, or blend on Speed 1 until you have a smooth, satiny cream.
- Add extra water at this stage if you want to thin the soup.
- Reheat, taste for seasoning, add salt sparingly, and serve immediately.
Croutons Shopping List
- Seasoning of your choice (herbes de Provence, grated Parmesan cheese or garlic)
- 2 tbsp Butter or olive oil
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Cube or tear bread to make 2 cups (this will yield eight 1/4-cup servings). Aim for 3/4-inch cubes or pieces. For ease of cutting bread, use a serrated knife. Set bread aside.
Mix olive oil with your favourite seasoning. Add bread cubes to the mixture, stirring until cubes are evenly coated.
Spread bread cubes in a single layer in a shallow baking pan or on a baking sheet. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 10 minutes; stir, bake about 10 minutes more or until bread cubes are crisp and golden. Cool completely.