Classic English Scones are an essential for afternoon tea.
Follow this easy recipe for perfect plain scones or add fruit or
toasted pumpkin seeds for a different twist. We made the mixture
using the Dualit Hand Mixer
with the dough blades.
- Preheat your oven to 180C (160C fan).
- Cut the butter into small pieces then mix in the flour, salt, sugar and
bicarb of soda until breadcrumbs are formed.
- Combine the milk/buttermilk, egg and yoghurt together and pour
into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Mix together along with the
sultanas then slowly, on speed one, combine until a soft dough
forms (do not overwork the dough).
- Remove the dough and place on a floured surface.
- Gently press down and cut the scone shapes with a cutter and
then place on a floured baking sheet.
- Brush the tops using an egg wash or milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 mins.
double cream and serve with Tiptree strawberry jam.
- You can use milk instead of natural yoghurt
- Add cherries, blueberries, raspberries or toasted
pumpkin seeds for a different twist
- For a savoury scone add grated cheese to the mixture
or on top