Classic English Scones are an essential for afternoon tea.
Follow this easy recipe for perfect plain scones or add fruit or
toasted pumpkin seeds for a different twist. We made the mixture
using the Dualit Hand Mixer
with the dough blades.
- Preheat your oven to 180C (160C fan).
- Cut the butter into small pieces then add to a large bowl with
the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Rub together with your
fingers until fine breadcrumbs are formed.
- Combine the milk/buttermilk, egg and yoghurt together and pour
into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Add the sultanas to the bowl and using the Hand Mixer with
dough hooks, slowly on speed 1, combine until a soft dough forms
(do not overwork the dough).
- Remove the dough and place on a floured surface. Roll out the
dough until roughly 2-3cm thick.
- Gently press down and cut the scone shapes with a cutter and
then place on a floured baking sheet.
- Brush the tops using an egg wash or milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 mins.
- Serve warm with clotted cream and Tiptree
- You can use milk instead of natural yoghurt
- Add cherries, blueberries, raspberries or toasted
pumpkin seeds for a different twist
- For a savoury scone add grated cheese to the mixture
or on top