1. Coat the bottom of a large saucepan with the olive oil,
before gently frying the onion and garlic.
2. Once the onion and garlic are soft and golden brown, roughly
mash the tomatoes with a potato masher and add to the saucepan with
all the beans and seasoning. Fry for a few minutes.
3. Mix the stock cube in with 150ml of water before adding to
4. Bring your stock to the boil, then immediately turn down the
heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Place the sauce in an ovenproof dish, cover and place on the
middle shelf of a preheated oven to bake for up to one hour. If you
prefer a looser consistency, or if your sauce looks too thick, add
the remaining water.
6. Serve immediately with a bowl of steaming rice, or as a
topping for a jacket potato.
- This sauce is a great "go to" sauce for a quick and tasty meal,
with very little prep and uses simple, store cupboard ingredients.
Customise with any vegetables, herbs or spices that you have to
- Freeze in bags to make into pre-portioned meals.
- We love this dish hot, but it also tastes great served cold
with fresh salad leaves.