If you don't like using measurements, use up to double the
amount of liquid to vegetables - less for leafy vegetables, or the
soup will be thin and watery. We used the blender to give the soup a smooth, creamy
- 250g seasonal vegetables (of your choice)
- Canned tomatoes, lentils or cannellini beans (optional)
- 750ml vegetable stock
- ½ a medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly milled pepper
- Croutons (optional)
- Fresh herbs; basil, parsley or coriander (optional)
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil and cook the onion and
garlic. After ten minutes, they should be sweet, soft, fragrant and
- Now add the chopped vegetables and the stock. Bubble and simmer
until all is tender - this takes about 20-30 minutes. The soup is
cooked when the vegetables can be crushed against the side of the
pan easily with the back of a spoon.
- Now add the softer ingredients like canned pulses or
- Taste for salt and pepper, adding a little if necessary. If
your soup is made with fresh tomatoes out of season, a spoonful or
so of sugar may be necessary.
- Allow the contents of the pan to cool to lukewarm, then ladle
it into the blender. If you like your soup chunky, use the Pulse
Pad until you are happy with the consistency, or blend on Speed 1
until you have a smooth, satiny cream.
- Add extra water at this stage if you want to thin the
- Reheat, taste for seasoning, add salt sparingly, and serve
immediately, topped with the herbs.
Croutons Shopping List
- Seasoning of your choice (herbes de Provence, grated Parmesan
cheese or garlic)
- 2 tbsp Butter or olive oil
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Cube or tear bread to make 2 cups (this will yield eight 1/4-cup
servings). Aim for 3/4-inch cubes or pieces. For ease of cutting
bread, use a serrated knife. Set bread aside.
Mix olive oil with your favourite seasoning. Add bread cubes to
the mixture, stirring until cubes are evenly coated.
Spread bread cubes in a single layer in a
shallow baking pan or on a baking sheet. Bake in a 300 degree F
oven for 10 minutes; stir, bake about 10 minutes more or until
bread cubes are crisp and golden. Cool completely.