Marzipan, or almond paste, is usually used to cover cakes before
they are iced. Although you can buy marzipan ready-made in blocks,
it is easy to make at home. This recipe from Tala is simple to follow.
- 250g icing sugar
- 2 small eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 small lemon, juice only
- 500g ground almonds
- 5ml pure almond essence
- Sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and stir in the caster
sugar and ground almonds.
- Add the lemon juice and almond essence and stir in the eggs,
bit by bit, to make a stiff dough
- Roll into a ball and knead lightly. The paste should be pliable
but not overworked or oozing oil.
Tala have been Masters of Baking and Icing since 1899. Visit