- Peel all the potatoes, cut into even size pieces, place in a
pan, cover with water and boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to check the potatoes are soft enough to
mash, drain the water and set aside.
- Place the onion, garlic and green chillies in the chopping
beaker and pulse to a fine even consistency
- Add the mustard seeds to a large frying pan on medium heat and
when they start to smoke add the chopped onion and chilli mix along
with 1Tbsp olive oil, fry and continue to stir until soft.
- Finely chop the spinach leaves.
- Mash the potato adding the onion salt and chilli powder, then
mix in the chopped spinach leaves.
- Add the fried onion mix to the mashed potatoes and stir to
combine all the flavours together,.
- Pour the sunflower oil into the frying pan and gently allow to
- Use a desert spoon to scoop out the mash and place into the hot
oil, gently pressing down to make small patties.
- Make several at a time, and when they are golden brown both
sides sit them on a plate or dish covered with kitchen towel to
soak up any excess oils.
- Serve with a tomato relish ( see recipe link )
These are great for tasty snack food, or served as a side with
Try them in a tortilla wrap with mayo or natural yoghurt.
Also.......make up some 'rice' fritters using the same method,
but replacing the potatoes with white sticky rice.