This classic cake makes the perfect family treat for a
bank-holiday weekend. It offers a wonderful fruit cake covered with
marzipan to go with your other teatime treats over Easter.
Makes one 20cm round cake.
- 225g butter softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs beaten
- 500g mixed dried fruit
- 115g glace cherries
- 3tbsp sherry (optional)
- 275g plain flour
- 1tbsp mixed spice
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 675g yellow marzipan
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Ribbon, sugared eggs, sugarpaste animals to decorate
- Preheat oven 160c. Grease deep 20cm round cake tin, line with a
double thickness of greaseproof paper and grease the paper.
- Using your Food
Processor (large bowl with dough blade) put all the ingredients
in, except marzipan, egg yolk and decorations. Mix until
- Roll out half the marzipan to a 20cm round. Spoon half the cake
mixture into the cake tin and place marzipan round on top. Add the
other half of cake mixture and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 2 hours 30 mins, or until golden and springy to the
touch. Leave in the tin for 15 mins, then turn out on to a wire
rack, peel off the lining paper and leave to cool.
- Roll out the reserved marzipan to fit the cake. Brush the cake
top with egg yolk and place marzipan on top. Flute the edges and
make a pattern on top with a fork. Brush with more egg yolk. Put
the cake on a baking sheet and grill for 5 mins to brown the top
lightly. Allow to cool before decorating.