1. Thickly slice the oranges and place all the ingredients into
a large saucepan (keep the cinnamon sticks whole).
2. Bring to the boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid, reduce the
heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Continue stirring. If required, add more sugar to taste.
4. Use the quartered lemon to coat the rim of each glass or mug
with lemon juice. This offsets the sweetness and spices of the full
bodied mulled wine and adds flavour and depth.
4. Serve and enjoy!
- Star anise is also a great addition to this drink - simply
place one in each of the mugs just before serving.
- Use a muslin cloth to keep the cinnamon sticks and cloves
together - tie the top with cotton thread to make it into a small
parcel that can easily be removed once the mulled wine is
- Try pushing the whole cloves into the orange slices to make
- You can also use a sieve to remove the cinnamon and spices if
preferred. Although we think it's nice to have a few of the spices
in your drink... it slows down the drinking!