1. Thickly slice the oranges and place all the ingredients into
a large saucepan, (keeping the cinnamon sticks whole).
2. Bring to the boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid, reduce the
heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Continue stirring. If required, add more sugar (do so to
4. Use the quartered lemon to coat the rim of each glass with
lemon juice. This offsets the sweeteness and spices of this full
bodied mulled wine, adding flavour and depth.
4. Serve and enjoy!
- Star anise is also a great addition to this drink - simply
place one in each of the glass tumblers just before serving.
- Use a muslin cloth to keep the cinnamon sticks and cloves
together - tie the top with cotton thread to make it into a small
parcel that can easily be removed once the mulled wine is
- Alternatively, you can push the whole cloves into the orange
slices to make serving easier.
- You can also use a seive to remove the cinnamon and spices if
preferred (though we think its nice to have a few of the spices in
the tumblers... it slows down the drinking!)