Healthy sweet potato (perfect for low GI diets) makes a
deliciously satisfying mash. Its slight sweetness makes it an
excellent accompaniment to roasted spicy duck legs. Make the mash
while the duck is cooking.
- 2 Gressingham duck legs
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp sea salt crystals
- 1 large sweet potato, about 400g (14oz)
- A large knob of butter
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/M4.
- Pierce the duck legs well so the fat can escape during
- Mix together the spice and salt and rub half into the duck
- Roast in a shallow dish for 30 minutes, pouring off the excess
fat halfway through.
- Meanwhile, peel the potato, cut into chunks and boil for 10-12
minutes until just tender.
- Drain and return to the pan with the remaining spiced salt and
butter. With the Dualit Hand
Blender, whizz to a smooth purée. Season with pepper and stir
in the chopped herbs.
- Serve the cooked legs on a bed of the mash with some pan juices
drizzled over the top.