A lovely fresh-tasting soup, ideal for spring or early
Speck or Parma ham may be added at the end, softened in a little
hot butter, if you like.
- a large nut of butter
- 1 heart of lettuce, cut into fine strips
- 400g (14 oz) frozen peas or petits pois
- 400ml (14 fl oz) water
- Melt the butter in a deepish pan.
- Add the lettuce, peas, 1 tsp salt, and a dash of sugar.
- Cover the pan and cook gently for 10 minutes, until the peas
are thoroughly soaked in the butter.
- Add the water and cook at a moderate pace until the peas are
quite tender - this will
- take about 20 minutes.
- Purée the soup in the blender, then sieve if you want a really
smooth result - but you don't have to sieve the soup.
- Return to the pan and reheat before serving.