Make flavoured oils in the summer months as a great way to
capture the essence of fresh herbs like chives; your Dualit food processor will tease
out the last drop of their sweet, onion-like flavour.You can taste
the difference when you use freshly grown herbs and the small
Dualit bowl and blade will chop them to perfection (remove the
stalks first). Infused oils also make a great gift.
- 90g chives
- 4 tsp crystal (sea) salt
- 700ml extra virgin olive oil
- In the large bowl fitted with its chopping blade, mince the
- Add the salt and continue to pulse once or twice.
- With the motor running, add the oil in a thin steady stream,
cupping your hand over the feeder tube to prevent the oil splashing
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a large jug, rubbing
well, to extract all the oil.
- Pour through a funnel into a suitable glass bottle.
- Seal with a cork (corks from sherry bottles are excellent for
this) and store in a cool dark place, but not in the fridge.
- Drizzle Chive Oil over burgers, grilled fish and barbecued
meat, or use it to pan fry chicken breasts. Use it to make salad
dressing, a flavouring for mayonnaise, or as a dip for crusty