1. Use the Dualit 700W Hand
Blender with chopper bowl attachment blender to blitz the
slices of bread into breadcrumbs.
2. Peel and cut the onion in half and place in a large saucepan
alongside the whole cloves and bay leaves.
3. Pour in the milk, place on a medium heat to bring to
4. Once simmering, remove the pan from the heat, cover with a
lid and allow the milk to cool and infuse.
5. Using a sieve, pour the milk mix into a jug and discard the
onion, cloves, bay leaves for composting. Once fully filtered, pour
the milk back into the saucepan.
6. Stir in the breadcrumbs and place back onto a low heat for a
few minutes. Bring the mixture back to a simmer, whilst stirring
7. Optional: add a little more milk for a thinner consistency if
preferred, and for a little extra flavour or a different taste, add
a pinch of nutmeg or a teaspoon of mustard.
8. Once heated through, remove the milk mixture from the heat
and quickly add the butter, salt and pepper. Mix until well
9. Serve alongside your Christmas dinner, Sunday roast or
whatever takes your fancy!
- This sauce can be made up to a month in advance - store in bags
or an air tight container and keep in the freezer until ready for
- For a vegan alternative, simply substitute the milk and butter
for coconut milk and coconut butter.