- Slice the onion and crush the garlic and place in a deep pan
with the chilli oil and fry to soften.
- Dissolve the veg stock cube in a jug of 300ml boiling water and
- Add the dry rice to the pan along with the vegetable
- Add all the spices to the pan, cinnamon, turmeric, bay leaf and
cardamom pods, salt and pepper to season and stir.
- Cover the pan and place on a medium heat, allow the rice to
simmer until all the water has been absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 180/160 fan.
- Slice the aubergines lengthways approx half inch thick for each
slice and pat dry on kitchen paper.
- Crush the garlic into the nutmeg and add to 1Tbsp olive oil and
rub into the aubergine slices, ensuring to coate both sides.
- Place on a baking sheet into the hot oven and roast until
golden brown for around 20-30 minutes.
- Once the rice has cooked and the aubergines have been
roasted..assemble the dish..
Use a large serving dish and place a layer of the cooked rice on
Layer with a few of the aubergine slices, and top with another
layer of rice, do this a few times.
Sprinkle the toasted almonds, Sultanas and roughly chopped
corriander over the top.
Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the entire dish and
Try a chicken biriyani, make up a masala base and add to the
Make a separate pan of boiled rice with a little saffron or
paprika and mix the two rices together when serving to give a
beautiful distinct flavour, colour and heat.