Higgidy make a delicious range of handmade pies, quiches, tarts and slices. Whether you are looking for a winter warmer, light summer bite or something different for your lunchtime snack, Higgidy will have something to tempt your tastebuds.
These tasty pies made using the Dualit Food Processor are easy to make and perfect for summer picnics!
For the pastry
For the filling
1. Place the flour and butter in a large bowl or food processor with the salt. Stir or pulse until the butter is roughly cut up into very small pieces throughout the flour. Then add the sour cream and stir or pulse again for 2-3 seconds or until just mixed. Shape into a flat disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
2. While your pastry is chilling, make the filling: simply put the jam, strawberries, blueberries, cornflour and lemon juice in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
3. Unwrap your pastry and roll out on a floured surface to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut our 8 x 12cm circles, re-rolling the scraps if you need to. Divide the jammy mixture between the 8 circles, placing it in the bottom half of each circle and leaving a 2cm rim.
4. Brush just the rim of pastry with beaten egg and fold over the top half of pastry to create 8 little semi-circles. Secure the join by pressing the back of a fork into the pastry.
5. Carefully transfer the pies to a baking sheet and pop them in the freezer for 10 minutes to make sure they are really cold. Preheat your oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
6. Remove the pies from the freezer and brush each with beaten egg. Sprinkle over the sugar and make three little slashes with a sharp knife, on each pie.
7. Cook for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown and the berry centre is starting to escape through the holes. Cool completely before serving.
To find out more about Higgidy please visit www.higgidy.co.uk