1) Always clean the juicer before drinking your juice. If you leave it the juicer dries out and it is much harder to clean the mesh. Not wanting to clean the juicer is the most common reason people give for not juicing, but it takes no more time than cleaning your teeth or washing up after breakfast!
2) Use organic produce if at all possible to reduce your consumption of pesticides and artificial fertilisers. However it is better to juice cheaper non organic fruits and vegetables than not juice at all!
3) Always scrub your fruit and vegetables before juicing, especially if the produce is not organic as it will have been sprayed with pesticides and fertilisers. Thorough scrubbing will also remove any waxes and protective coatings which are used to improve appearance and protection during transit.
4) Choose different juices to drink everyday to ensure that you consume a wide variety of different fruits and vegetables and therefore a wide spectrum of phytonutrients.
5) Always peel oranges and grapefruits before juicing as their peel contains oils which are bitter and indigestible to humans. However, as most of the nutrients are found in the pith, juice with as much of the pith on as possible.
6) Lemons and limes can be juiced with their skin on but only if they are UNWAXED. Also the peel is tough, so push the fruit slowly through the juicer.
7) Bananas do not juice so add these to your smoothies instead. Bananas freeze well so if you buy too many simply peel them, chop into chunks and freeze. Frozen banana chunks can be added to your blender to make your smoothies.
8) Avocados do not juice either. Use to make smoothies. Again, like bananas, they freeze well. Simply peel them, remove the stone, cut into chunks and freeze.
9) You can juice a whole bunch of grapes! With the machine switched off, lower the bunch into the juicer and squash down first, then choose the lowest setting of your Dualit juicer and juice!
10) Juicing leafy greens such as spinach, kale, cabbage etc. works best if BEFORE you switch on the juicer you crunch the greens into a ball, pack into the juicer, squash them down and then juice them. Even better, pack your crunched greens between 2 apples.
For information about Lesley Hawker and the benefits of juicing visit www.juicedrop.co.uk